Diamond is one of the hardest materials found on the earth, and they’re also magnets for dirt and grime. Whether you’re newly engaged, celebrating an anniversary or just looking for some “bling”, you’ll want to keep that diamond jewelry sparkling for years to come. It’s easy to clean with a few simple steps you can do right at home.
You Will Need:
- Window/glass cleaner with ammonia such as Windex
- Mild detergent such as Ivory
- Small dish
- Warm water
- Small strainer
- Soft bristled brush (a baby’s toothbrush works well)
- Rubber gloves
- Lint free cloth
The Cleaning Process:
- Close the drain of the sink or insert a strainer into the drain. The last thing you want is to see your precious jewelry slipping down the drain.
- Fill the sink with hot of water (as hot as you can stand). Rubber gloves will protect your hands from the heat.
- Add a small amount of mild detergent and mix.
- Place the ring in the sink or a small dish filled with this detergent-water solution and allow it to soak for about 10 minutes.
- After the ring has soaked in the water, move it to another dish filled with window cleaner. You will want to cover the ring entirely with the cleaner. Allow the ring to soak for an additional 10 minutes.
- Using the soft brush, gently brush away dirt and build-up from the ring. Be careful not to scratch the metal setting with the bristles and pay careful attention to the back of the diamond as this is a prime area for build-up that reduces the sparkle of the diamond.
- Return the diamond to the detergent and water solution and swish around to remove any loose dirt.
- Rinse thoroughly under hot running water. Remember to keep the drain plugged or use the strainer at all times.
- Allow the jewelry to air dry or dry with a lint-free cloth.
- Check the prongs for any movement and ensure all dirt has been removed.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Toothpicks can be used very carefully to dislodge dirt between the prongs and the diamond.
- Keep diamonds away from bleach as it damages the metal and can weaken the setting.
- If you have heavy build-up on your diamond, you may want to use a dental Water Pik to aid in removal.
- If your diamond has a crack or “inclusion”, a sudden temperature change from placing it in the hot water could cause the stone to break. To avoid this, warm your diamond first in warm water.
- If ever in doubt, have a professional clean your diamond jewelry. Most jewelers will clean diamonds at no cost.