Candace asked: My plants left dark water and soil rings on my sisal carpet. I have not been able to clean them at all. What will clean sisal?
Sisal rugs are constructed from the natural fibers found in the leaves of the Agave sisalana, a plant that is found in Central America. Since the fibers are natural, it is important to clean the rugs immediately to prevent the fibers from absorbing the stains and moisture which can cause distortion and shrinking. Here are some safe cleaning methods for your sisal rugs.
You Will Need:
- Mild soap
- Soft cloths
- Soft towels
Steps to Clean the Rug:
- Regular cleanings will help to minimize the amount of dirt that gets lodged in the rug. Vacuum the rugs regularly.
- When spills and stains occur, it will be necessary to clean the rug further. Always use a minimal amount of water when cleaning to avoid the fibers absorbing the excess liquid.
- Fill a bucket with water and add a small amount of mild soap. A mixture of one part water and one part vinegar can also be used.
- Use a dry cloth to blot up as much of the spill as possible.
- For any stains or sticky areas, moisten a soft cloth with a small amount of the cleaning mixture. Wring out the cloth well so the rug does not become saturated with liquid.
- Blot the area to remove the stain and dirt.
- Rinse by blotting with a clean cloth moistened with clear water.
- Finally, blot the area with a dry cloth to remove any remaining water.
Additional Tips and Advice
- There are synthetic rugs available that are much easier to clean. It is best to contact the manufacturer of the rug to learn more about the recommended cleaning instructions. Each company has their own way of treating the fibers and will have specific cleaning recommendations for your particular rug.
- Avoid setting sisal rugs in high traffic and high moisture areas. The extra moisture leads to staining and when it is absorbed by the natural fibers they can lose their shape or shrink.
- If there are dry stains on the rug, they can be scraped away with a blunt object such as a wooden knife. Simply drag it across the rug and then vacuum away the loosened particles.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods