Linda asked: How do I clean my stainless steel outdoor BBQ grill? My outdoor grill has a lot of dirt and grease on it. I’ve tried Bartender’s Friend and ammonia and water.
Stainless steel is protected by a thin layer of chromium oxide. When dirt and grease build up on this coating, it does not work properly and can lead to corrosion. Consistent upkeep of your stainless steel grill is a necessity to keep it looking its best. Here are the steps to clean your grill and keep it in good condition.
You Will Need:
- Soap (grease fighting dishsoap works well for grease build up)
- Soft cloths or non abrasive sponges
Steps to Clean the Grill:
- Fill a bucket with warm water.
- Add a good amount of soap and agitate to mix.
- Use a soft cloth or sponge moistened with the soapy water to wipe down the surfaces of the grill.
- Follow the grain of the metal as you clean.
- Rinse completely with clean water.
- Dry with a soft towel. Do not allow the surface to remain wet.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Regular cleanings are a must, and stainless steel can tolerate it well. Unlike some other materials, stainless steel does not become worn or weakened by repeated cleanings.
- Avoid using caustic or harsh cleaners on stainless steel surfaces. If additional cleaning power is needed, use an approved stainless steel cleaner.
- For tough stains, see our guides with additional cleaning methods that are safe for stainless steel: