Lisa asked: How can I clean a white board duster without wrecking the felt?
White board dusters that get a lot of use quickly fill with pieces of dried marker ink. While often these are just replaced, they can be cleaned to help them last a little longer. Follow these guidelines to keep your duster clean and lasting longer.
You Will Need:
- Soft brush (baby brush works well)
- Mild detergent (optional)
- Paper towels or clean towel
Steps to Clean the Duster:
- Most of the particles can be removed from the felt just by brushing them off. Begin by brushing the surface lightly with the soft bristled brush using a back and forth motion. Start at the top and brush all the way to the bottom.
- Repeat once if necessary. The goal is to remove as much of the loose marker dust as possible.
- In many cases, this will clean the eraser enough that it can be used again. If a deeper clean is required, continue with the following steps.
- Mix a small amount of mild detergent with water.
- Dip the brush in the mixture and use it to gently scrub the felt. It is best to work from top to bottom again, scrubbing in circular motions.
- Rinse the felt completely with cold water
- To remove excess water, press the duster on a towel or stack of paper towels. Do this several times until as much of the water is removed as possible.
- Allow the felt to air-dry completely.
- If necessary, use the brush after the duster has dried to gently brush the felt to restore the pile.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or hot water on the felt portion of the duster.
- Only clean the duster when necessary. Most dusters are not designed for extensive cleaning and may need to be replaced after several cleanings.