How to Clean Burned On Microfiber Cloth from a Glass Stovetop

glass-stove-top

Barbara asked: How do I clean burnt on microfiber cloth from a glass stovetop? I was cleaning my stovetop with a microfiber cloth and did not realize the top was still hot. The microfiber cloth is now stuck onto the glass. I have used the stovetop cleaner, scraped it with a razor, used ammonia and Bon Ami powder. Please help with any other suggestions. Thanks!

Removing a burned on mess from a glass cook top won’t be an easy task. Because you can’t use abrasives or scouring pads without damaging the surface, you’ll need plenty of patience to get rid of this mess.

You Will Need:

 

  • Paper towels
  • Vinegar
  • Single-edge razor blade in a holder

Steps to Remove the Burnt On Cloth:

  1. Turn the affected burner on low heat. Start with the lowest setting and increase the heat slightly if needed. The object is to try to melt the microfiber again, but you want to soften it, NOT cook it. If it gets too hot, you may have a bigger problem on your hands, namely nasty fumes or a fire.
  2. Once the cloth starts to soften, turn the burner off and gently wipe it away with a thick layer of paper towels. You may attempt to use the scraper if the mess seems pliable, but you have to be extremely careful not to scratch the surface of the cook top.
  3. Whether you were able to remove any of the mess by heating or not, you will likely have residue left behind. Allow the cook top to cool completely before continuing.
  4. Next, soak a thick layer of paper towels in vinegar.
  5. Lay it over the mess and let it sit for at least 15 minutes.
  6. Remove the paper towels and, with great care, work on the mess with the scraper.
  7. Repeat the vinegar application as necessary. You may have to do this several times to get to the last bit of residue.

Additional Tips and Advice

  • Do not use abrasive powders, scrubbers or steel wool on glass cooktops. Scratches are difficult, if not impossible, to remove from the surface.
  • If this version fails to work, soak a towel in vinegar and allow it to remain on the residue overnight. Make sure the towel is thick enough to stay wet all night, then try to clean again the morning.

 

Comments

  1. Brian says:

    I used ice cubes for a few minutes directly on the melted microfiber towel residue, and then scraped repeatedly with a plastic spatula until it all came off. Don’t give up; it takes a lot of scraping with the spatula. I left the water from the ice cubes on while I was scraping. I did not feel comfortable using a razor blade on the glass, but that’s just me. Hope this helps. Thanks for all the great advice! Brian

  2. Kathy says:

    Thank you so much…will try both suggestions.

  3. Cathy says:

    Thanks Brian, I had the same problem, and your method worked like a charm!

  4. Dee says:

    Thank you very much for the tips; they indeed worked like a charm. It took lots of time and effort with scraping, but there’s no residue left behind! :)

  5. Vonda says:

    I soaked the area with paper towels and vinegar overnight. – that made all the difference. The next morning, I cleaned it off carefully with a new razor blade. Be sure to keep work with the wet surface. It looks like new again – thank goodness. I have learned my lesson when it comes to microfiber towels and glass tops. Don’t worry. I thought it was ruined forever. Have a little patience and take your time. Good Luck.

  6. Margaret says:

    Thank You! You saved the day! I followed your directions and now my glass stove top is like new again. I was able to remove the burned on microfiber cloth in your easy seven steps.

  7. Renee says:

    It happened to me last night and I thought it would be really hard to remove it. I went to Home Depot today, bought the $5 blade scrapper used specifically for glass stove tops…It was so easy and…IT CAME RIGHT OFF! I hope that it will work for you! Good luck!

  8. Claire says:

    I didn’t have time for the 15 minute soaks, so I just soaked it before I went to bed and left it overnight. This morning, it came right off, as long as I kept the surface somewhat damp. Worked wonderfully, and thank you so much!

  9. Cathy R. says:

    Thank you so much; this worked like a charm! Got the top layer of fiber optic material off with very little residue, but I’m still soaking the glass burner with the paper towels and vinegar for 15 minutes to hopefully take off the little residue that’s there. I am definitely a happy camper as this is a brand new stove! Thanks again for the very helpful tip!

  10. Ema says:

    Thank you so much!! Your advice saved my life.

  11. Y says:

    This just happened to me. I burned my fingers removing the cloth; my mistake – was wrong burner on. :( Left it cool until I found advice. My cloth was the one used for polishing. When I went to try your advice, it had cooled and came off with the spatula. I used some ice cubes on the parts that were left; came right off. Never leave clothes on stoves; lesson learned.

  12. Sandy says:

    I placed a paper towel soaked in vinegar over the fabric remnant(s) – I had this problem on two burners…some of us learn more slowly than others – let it sit for several hours and VERY carefully used a razor blade to scrape those resistant fibers and it worked!! Thank you very much – thought I would have to live with my mistake; nothing is worse than those microfibers!

  13. Diane says:

    I used non-fume oven cleaner and left it sitting for about 3 hours. Scrape with a small knife (non-serrated) or spatula and it comes right off.

Leave a Comment

*