Barbara asked: How do I clean burnt on microfiber cloth from a glass stovetop? I was cleaning my stovetop with a microfiber cloth and did not realize the top was still hot. The microfiber cloth is now stuck onto the glass. I have used the stovetop cleaner, scraped it with a razor, used ammonia and Bon Ami powder. Please help with any other suggestions. Thanks!
Removing a burned on mess from a glass cook top won’t be an easy task. Because you can’t use abrasives or scouring pads without damaging the surface, you’ll need plenty of patience to get rid of this mess.
You Will Need:
- Paper towels
- Single-edge razor blade in a holder
Steps to Remove the Burnt On Cloth:
- Turn the affected burner on low heat. Start with the lowest setting and increase the heat slightly if needed. The object is to try to melt the microfiber again, but you want to soften it, NOT cook it. If it gets too hot, you may have a bigger problem on your hands, namely nasty fumes or a fire.
- Once the cloth starts to soften, turn the burner off and gently wipe it away with a thick layer of paper towels. You may attempt to use the scraper if the mess seems pliable, but you have to be extremely careful not to scratch the surface of the cook top.
- Whether you were able to remove any of the mess by heating or not, you will likely have residue left behind. Allow the cook top to cool completely before continuing.
- Next, soak a thick layer of paper towels in vinegar.
- Lay it over the mess and let it sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove the paper towels and, with great care, work on the mess with the scraper.
- Repeat the vinegar application as necessary. You may have to do this several times to get to the last bit of residue.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Do not use abrasive powders, scrubbers or steel wool on glass cooktops. Scratches are difficult, if not impossible, to remove from the surface.
- If this version fails to work, soak a towel in vinegar and allow it to remain on the residue overnight. Make sure the towel is thick enough to stay wet all night, then try to clean again the morning.