General wear and tear along with spills and drips can all lead to carpet spots and stains. Cleaning these small areas is simple to do with a few easy steps. To keep the spot from looking worn or damaged, follow these guidelines when cleaning carpet spots and stains.
You Will Need:
- Bucket or spray bottle (depending on the size of the stain)
- Soft cloths or paper towels
- Cleaning product appropriate for the stain type
Steps to Clean the Spots:
- Begin by removing any solids or excess spill from the surface of the carpet.
- Moisten the area with a small amount of water. Unless you are sure it will not affect the stain, use cool water rather than hot. If the area is large, fill a bucket with water and dab it on with a wet cloth. If the area is small, a spray bottle works well.
- Apply the appropriate cleaning/stain removal product to the spot. Each type of stain has a stain remover that will work best for removing it. It you are unsure what will work best for your stain, search the site for your specific stain to find a guide about it. If you are unsure what the stain is, try using either an enzyme digester, such as a pet stain and odor remover like Kids ‘N’ Pets, or a general carpet spot remover, such as Spot Shot.
- Use a clean, soft cloth or paper towel to blot the area by pressing gently on the stained area. As you do so, you will see the stain transfer onto the cloth.
- Turn the cloth frequently to keep so you are always working with a clean section of the cloth.
- Reapply the stain remover and water as needed. Continue to blot them away until the stain is removed.
- Once the stain is gone, rinse the area by spraying it with clean water and blotting it away.
- Press clean, dry cloths over the area to dry. Apply consistent pressure until move of the moisture is absorbed from the carpet fibers.
- Allow the area to air dry completely.
- If the texture of the cleaned area appears different after cleaning, vacuum it to restore the original look.
Additional Tips and Advice
- When selecting stain removers, take into consideration the type of carpeting and the carpet color.
- Avoid scrubbing or rubbing the carpet while cleaning. This can push the stain further into the carpet fibers. The scrubbing motion can also damage the fibers which will make the area stand out even after the stain is removed.