Larry asked: How do I clean diesel off of vinyl? What will cut it?
Removing diesel fuel stains can be challenging and should be treated the same as oil stains. Follow these steps to lift and remove the oil-based diesel stains from your vinyl pieces.
You Will Need:
- Corn starch or whiting
- Vinyl cleaner
- Dish detergent (Dawn works well)
- Dry cleaning fluid
- Soft cloths or sponges
- Cotton balls
Steps to Clean the Diesel:
- If the stain is fresh, cover it with a fine powder such as whiting or corn starch.
- Allow this to set on the stain overnight.
- Wipe away with a sponge or soft cloth moistened with water, or brush the powder away.
- Repeat the above application until the stain (or a majority of it) is removed.
- If the stain remains, mix some detergent with hot water in the bucket. Use the hottest water that the vinyl can safely tolerate.
- Use a sponge or soft cloth moistened with the mixture to gently wipe it away.
- Moisten a cloth or cotton balls with dry cleaning fluid and rub it over the area.
- Rinse thoroughly with a cloth moistened with clean water.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- When working with dry cleaning fluid, open the windows and ensure there is proper ventilation.
- There are commercial car cleaning products that are designed to remove oil-based stains from vinyl upholstery. Apply these products following the manufacturer’s instructions.