Frank asked: How do I best clean the spokes on my motorcycle tires? The spokes on my motorcycle wheels are difficult to clean. They cross, the forks and brakes are in the way. The inside of the hub itself is also difficult to get to because of the spokes.
The spokes motorcycle wheels look great, but area a challenge for many to keep clean. Here are some helpful cleaners and cleaning supplies that will help to make the job easier and more effective.
You Will Need:
- Cleaning product for wheels
- Baby bottle brush
- Soft cloths
- Old sheet
Steps to Clean the Spokes:
Regular cleaning products that are used to clean the rest of the wheels work just as well on the spokes. The trick is to get into all of the crevices and tight spaces. These products help make the road grime melt away so it can sometimes even just be blasted off with water, no scrubbing needed.
- Fill a bucket with warm water.
- Apply the cleaning product directly to the spokes, or mix it in with the water, whichever the appljcation instructions recommend for your specific product.
- To scrub the spokes, moisten the baby bottle brush and use it to scrub any tight areas. The bristles that wrap around the brush will give easier access to the many spaces inside of the wheel spokes that need cleaning.
- Another method is to cut an old cloth sheet into strips.
- Moisten the strips with soap and water.
- Wrap the strip of fabric around the spoke and pull it back and forth (like you were buffing or polishing shoes).
- Once the wheel spokes are cleaned to your satisfaction, rinse thoroughly with water.
- Be sure to rinse any all loosened dirt and debris.
- Dry with a soft cloth.
- Polish if desired for extra shine.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Taking the bike to a local do-it-yourself car wash can work well also. Use the wheel cleaner to clean the spokes. The extra pressure helps to wash away any dirt and debris.
- For a touchless cleaning, try Moto Clean 900. This product is simply sprayed on, allowed to sit and work, then rinsed off.
- There are spoke brushes available as well. These are similar to the bottle brush in structure, but built with much stiffer bristles for additional cleaning power.
- For the inner hub, a larger strip of sheet can be cut to wrap around, or a back strap loofah can be used instead for extra scrubbing power.
- The time and effort needed to care for spokes is worth it. Without regular maintenance and care, they will begin to tarnish.