Lynn asked: I have non-slip tile floors in my bathroom which seem impossible to get clean! I have tried the cleaning methods in the guide How to Clean Non-Slip Flooring to no avail. While it removed some of the grime, it still looks dirty. The tiles are not smooth, but have a gritty, matte type finish. I imagine the dirt is caught in around this finish. Any help is very welcome.
When you find that the usual methods of cleaning non-slip floor tile, detergent or a steam clean, are outmatched by your floor, it’s time to pull out the secret weapon. With very few exceptions, this simple trick should have your non-slip floors looking brand new. All you need are a couple of inexpensive ingredients and some elbow grease.
You Will Need:
- Long handled floor scrub brush
- Short bristled brush
- Bar Keepers Friend
Steps to Clean the Tiles:
- Clear the work area of all rugs, furniture, and other mobile obstructions. You may work in small sections, but for smaller floors such as bathrooms it may be easier to clean the whole floor at once. Sweep to remove any loose dirt or debris.
- Dampen the floor by pouring a small amount of water and moving it around with the long brush. You don’t want to flood the room, but make sure there’s enough to wet the surface.
- Sprinkle a generous coating of Bar Keepers Friend over the wet floor.
- Lightly brush the surface to ensure the Bar Keepers Friend is worked into the wet floor. Don’t scrub it yet.
- Allow the mixture to sit on the floor for 5-10 minutes, but do NOT let the floor dry.
- Begin to scrub the floor in earnest. It may be easier to start with the long brush, but for stubborn areas the short brush will be more effective. Add water if necessary.
- Fix stubborn spots by adding more Bar Keepers Friend powder to a WET floor.
- Once the floor is clean, or as needed, towel dry. If you notice a residue left on the floor, add more water, scrub gently to work the Bar Keepers Friend out of the tile, then towel dry.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Although Bar Keepers Friend has tested and been declared safe for use on floor tiles and grout, it’s always a good idea to spot test new products before use.
- To make cleanup easier, ensure the floor is wet before you add Bar Keepers Friend. The water will help keep it from seating in the texture of the tile.