Chuck asked: How do I clean glass and metal bottles with a rancid oil smell in them? I have several glass and metal containers that olive oil was left in for too long, and they have a rancid smell in them that I can’t get rid of. I’ve tried the dishwasher, but it didn’t do the trick. Can you help?
Small bottles with even smaller necks can pose a problem when it’s time to clean them out, but this little trick will work on virtually any bottle. However, because you can’t see through metal bottles to know when they’re clean, you may want to repeat this a few times for good measure.
You Will Need:
- Uncooked rice
- Hot water
- White vinegar
Steps to Remove the Stains:
- Fill the empty bottle about half full of uncooked rice.
- Add some white vinegar. You’ll want to add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup. You want to save room for water so that with both liquids the bottle, it will not be more than 3/4 full. Judge the amount accordingly based on the size of the bottle.
- Fill the bottle with hot water until it’s about 3/4 full.
- Place a lid on the bottle or cover with your finger (use a paper towel or wash cloth to protect your finger from the heat of the water) and shake vigorously. The motion of the rice against the walls of the bottle will scrub and scour the inside of the bottle.
- After several minutes of shaking, set the bottle down and leave it to soak until the water cools.
- Pour out the contents of the bottle. You may notice the removed particles and build-up in the removed liquid. This is a good thing, and means that the process is working.
- Repeat the above steps until the mixture inside comes out clean.
Additional Tips and Advice
- The use of white vinegar should take care of the smell as it cleans. If you notice the bottle still has an odor even after it rinses clean, fill it with vinegar and allow it to sit for 12-24 hours, then rinse with clean water. Repeat if necessary.
- Although bleach is commonly suggested to clean metal bottles, it should be used with care as it can corrode metal.
- Avoid using dish soap, especially with a bottle with a small neck and/or limited access. Thorough rinsing can be very difficult, and you may not be able to get all of the suds out, which will leave a soapy taste or residue behind.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods