Liliane asked: How do I clean a very dirty white roller blind? The blind is made of stiffened white cotton and has been up for a long time. Stains include general dust, dirt and squashed insects. Ewww!
Roller blinds offer simple, elegant window coverings that fit in with nearly every décor. Cleaning methods depend largely on the material that the roller blinds are made of. If the material can be submerged in water, then follow the simple cleaning procedures below. If they are made from a material that cannot become saturated with water, then spot cleaning will be the only safe cleaning option.
You Will Need:
- Mild laundry detergent
- Bleach (optional)
- Sponge or soft cloths
- Old toothbrush
- Vacuum with brush attachment
- Drying rack or outside clothesline
- Bath tub
- Warm water
- Friend to help (optional)
Steps to Clean the Blinds:
- If the blinds are especially dirty, it will be best to begin with a thorough vacuuming to remove the surface dirt.
- Remove the blinds from the roller and carefully lay them flat on the floor.
- Use the brush attachment on the vacuum to gently brush over the surface and vacuum away any loose dirt, dead bugs, etc.
- Next, fill the bathtub about half full of warm water.
- Add some laundry detergent to the water and mix together until a few suds begin to form on the surface. If the blinds are white, a small amount of bleach can be added to the water as well.
- Next, carefully lay the blinds in the tub. If the blinds are long, it is okay to loosely layer them in an accordion fashion.
- Allow them to soak in the soapy water for a couple of hours.
- Next, start at one end of the blinds and gently wipe them back and forth with a soft cloth or sponge. This will help remove any remaining dirt and/or stains.
- For tough stains, scrub them gently with an old toothbrush.
- Drain the sudsy water from the tub.
- Fill with clean water and rinse the blinds. Repeat until all of the soap is removed. If soap residue remains on the blinds, it will act as a magnet quickly collecting dirt and dust.
- If a partner is available to assist, the blinds can be held up and rinsed with a shower sprayer for quicker soap removal.
- Lay the blinds over a drying rack or outside on a clothesline until they are completely dried.
- Attach them back onto the roller and reinstall them over the window.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- Color-safe bleach can be utilized for added cleaning power on colored blinds.
- Avoid using harsh cleaners on the fabric as it may damage the material.
- For paper blinds, spot clean with a slightly moist cloth and allow them to dry completely before reinstalling over the window.
- Regular cleanings will help keep major dirt and stains from building up on roller blinds.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods