Placed in a moist, warm location, shower doors are prone to mildew and mold growth. Add to that the soap scum that quickly builds up over time, and you’ve got quite the cleaning task in front of you. Here’s how to take the pain out of this cleaning chore and have your doors sparkling!
You Will Need:
- White vinegar
- Sponges or soft cloths
- Lemon oil
Steps to Clean Shower Doors:
- Start by mixing one part water with one part vinegar in a bucket. If there is a lot of build up on the doors, use more vinegar. Straight vinegar can be used as well for really dirty doors.
- Moisten the sponge or soft cloth in the mixture.
- Rub it over the surfaces of the door to remove any soap scum and hard water stains that have built up. Apply more of the vinegar/water mixture as you are scrubbing to keep the surface wet.
- Once clean, rinse with clean water.
- Dry with a soft cloth to remove any excess water and make the doors shine.
- If there are still water spots present, there are two options:
- If there is still hard water deposits or soap scum present, wipe the surface with white vinegar on a soft cloth or sponge.
- If the door is clean, and all surface residue has been removed, you can apply lemon oil to the surface using a soft cloth or sponge. This will make the glass shine. It also works well on the metal frames.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Dry the doors off after each use to keep soap scum and hard water stains from returning.
- Treat any signs of mold or mildew immediately with a mild bleach or vinegar solution.
- Use caution when selecting commercial cleaning products. Some cleaners that are designed to clean tile and tubs are not safe to use on glass. Rather than cleaning them, they can etch the surface and leave a dull, filmy appearance.
- Dryer sheets moistened with water can be used to wipe shower doors and remove spots and buildup. Mr. Clean Magic Erasers have also been found useful by many for this tough cleaning task.
- Want to treat the source of soap scum? Switch to liquid soap. The bar soap is what causes soap scum in the first place.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods