Spandex appears up in a variety of clothing types. It’s also very easy to care for with a few simple guidelines.
Caring for Spandex
- To retain maximum shape and flexibility, spandex should be hand washed only, using lukewarm water and mild detergent, such as Woolite or Deft.
- Never twist or wring Spandex when washing, but gently knead the garment and rinse thoroughly with cool, clear water.
- Again to retain maximum shape and flexibility, Spandex should not be placed in the dryer. Air dry by either placing on a flat surface.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Avoid ironing Spandex. If you deem ironing to be absolutely necessary, use the lowest temperature setting and place a pressing cloth between the garment and the iron, making sure to iron very quickly (leaving the iron too long in one position, or allowing it to rest directly on the fabric can seriously damage the fabric).
- Do not dry clean Spandex unless the label instructs you to (dry cleaning can temporarily swell the fibers, misshaping the garment. Plus, the fibers tend to hold the odor of dry cleaning solutions).
- NEVER use bleach on Spandex (color safe bleach is okay, as long as the care instructions on your garment do not indicate otherwise).