Sandra asked: How do I clean glazed terra cotta ovenware? We have a glazed terra cotta apple baker that we need to lean. It has some spots that do not come off with washing. I have searched the internet and can only find info on cleaning unglazed terra cotta ovenware. Please help.
This simple process should remove any lingering food or mineral stains from your glazed terra-cotta ovenware. The process can also be used for unglazed terra-cotta ovenware. The cleaning methods remain the same.
You Will Need:
- White vinegar
- Nylon bristle brush
Steps to Clean the Terra Cotta:
- Mix a solution of ¾ cup vinegar to 1 cup hot water. Do not pour hot water into a cold dish. Remember to adjust the temperature gradually for terra-cotta, as abrupt changes may cause it to crack.
- If the stains are inside the dish, fill the dish with the solution. If they’re on the outside, fill the sink to soak the terra-cotta.
- Allow the dish to soak until the water begins to cool.
- Scrub stains with a nylon bristle brush.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Allow the piece to dry before using.
Additional Tips and Advice
- For particularly stubborn stains, soak the item overnight in a sink filled with water and 1/4 cup baking soda. Scrub with nylon bristle brush.
- Never put terra-cotta in the dishwasher. The sudden changes in temperature may cause it to crack or break.