Kaye asked: I bought a red, velour sofa. Where my partner has sat with his head against the back, there is a black, greasy mark. It’s very big. Please, can you tell me how to clean it? Thank you.
The velvety appearance of velour makes it an elegant, beautiful choice for upholstery. However, it requires care to keep it looking beautiful and luxurious. With dirt and dust the fabric loses its soft touch and becomes stiff and dull looking. Here are the steps to maintain your upholstery and enhance its features.
You Will Need:
- Soft brush
- Vacuum with brush attachment
- Mild liquid soap (Ex: Woolite Upholstery Soap or mild dish soap)
- Muslin fabric
- Suede brush
Steps to Clean the Upholstery:
- Begin by removing as much dirt as possible by brushing it away.
- A vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment can be used to remove loose dust and dirt particles.
- Fill a bucket with warm water.
- Add a small amount of soap and stir the water. Do not agitate the water to form suds, just mix in the soap gently. Add a few drops of household ammonia for extra cleaning power if needed.
- Muslin fabric is a special type of material and is gentle to keep from damaging the soft fibers of the velour.
- Dip the fabric piece into the soapy water and wring it out completely. Excess water will not yield good results, so wring it out until it is just slightly damp.
- Rub the moistened cloth over the surface of the upholstery. Use a back and forth motion as you are cleaning.
- Repeat as necessary until the surface is clean.
- Change the cloth and water as necessary to keep working with clean materials.
- Once the surface is clean allow it to dry completely.
- Brush the surface with a suede brush to restore the soft texture.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Do not clean velour with high heat cleaners, such as steam cleaners. The heat can damage the material and cause discoloration.
- Velour is a sensitive fabric and is often best left to professionals. If your piece is very soiled or you just don’t want to risk damaging the surface, hire a professional who is experienced with velour.
- When choosing a liquid soap, avoid those with added color. A clear soap is the best option.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods