Susie asked: How do I clean lint off of black wool? My new black coat attracts every type of lint it comes near. I used lint rollers and pads, as well as a hand mitten by Woolite. When I go in different lightings, lint is still there. Any long lasting solution?
So you’ve purchased the classic wool coat, and have just discovered that you’ve purchased one high maintenance piece! The higher the wool content, the more likely that your coat will attract and hold onto every little piece of lint and hair that it comes in contact with. These items stick to the coat because there is static present. To remove the lint, we need to remove the static. Here’s how.
You Will Need:
- Lint Rollers or Wide Tape
- Anti-static spray (ex: Static Guard)
- Dryer Sheets
Steps to Keep the Lint Away:
- The best way to keep the static away is with anti-static spray. These are available at nearly every store that sells laundry items and is easy to apply.
- Remove the lint from the surface with a lint roller or wide tape.
- Spray the surface with the anti-static spray and allow it to dry. Reapply as needed to keep the static away.
- If there is no anti-static spray available, rub the surface of the coat with a dryer sheet. These are designed to remove static and will help in the short term.
Additional Tips and Advice
- The time that the static is kept away will depend largely on the type of coat and the level of use. Though some coats may need to be sprayed weekly, others may only require monthly sprays to keep the lint at bay.
- Hand washing is the best method to keep the static down. Although it can be difficult and time consuming, it is well worth the time and effort to keep your coat looking its best and minimize the amount of lint that accumulates. If hand washing isn’t an option, use the gentlest cycle on your washing machine and do not add any other items to the wash.
- Always air dry wool as the heat in a dryer can shrink it, and the agitation in a dryer can cause it to lint/pill.
- Though the above methods will greatly reduce the amount of lint, it may still be necessary to remove lint from time to time. Keep a lint roller handy (there’s even travel rollers that will fit inside of a purse or briefcase) for quick touch ups.