Barb asked: How do I keep shower walls clean? We have hard water, and I like to use car wax on our shower walls to keep the walls cleaner longer. Is there a home remedy solution that I can make in place of car wax?
Hard water and soap scum are a common problem in every shower. There are a variety of methods that can be used to remove it and keep your showers looking great. Choose from the list below to find a solution that works best for you. If car wax works well, but you want to avoid the chemicals in commercial products, see our recipe below for homemade car wax.
Ways to Clean Shower Walls
You Will Need:
- Baking soda
- Spray bottle
- Soft cloths/sponges
Ways to Keep Shower Walls Clean:
- Ammonia: Mix one part household ammonia with two parts water in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture onto the surface of the shower and wipe away with a soft cloth or sponge. Repeat as necessary. Ammonia can have strong fumes, so be sure to keep the room well ventilated.
- Vinegar: Begin by warming up the vinegar in the microwave. Pour it into a spray bottle. Spray it onto the shower surfaces and wipe away with a clean cloth.
- Baking Soda: Mix baking soda and water together to form a paste. Rub the paste onto the surfaces of the shower. Allow the paste to sit on the surface for 30 minutes. Moisten a soft cloth or sponge with water and wipe the paste away.
Making Your Own Car Wax
If you’d like to prepare your own wax to apply to the surface, it can be made at home. There are a variety of recipes available on line. Here is one to consider.
You Will Need:
- 4 tablespoons carnuba wax
- 1 cup linseed oil
- ½ cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons beeswax
- Double boiler or saucepan
- Heat resistant storage container
Steps to Make Your Own Car Wax:
- Begin by adding all of the ingredients to a saucepan or double boiler.
- Heat the mixture over low heat.
- Stir the mixture as it heats through until everything is melted and combined.
- Pour the mixture into a heat resistant storage container.
- Allow it to cool.
- When ready to use, spread it onto the surfaces with a lint-free cloth.
- Moisten a clean cotton cloth with vinegar and use it to polish the wax to a great shine.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If car wax is not available, furniture wax can be used in its place.
- Use caution not to wax the bottom of the tub/shower or any areas where the slippery surface may be dangerous.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods