CC asked: How do I remove Kool-aid stains from the hood of my car? I have a Kool Aid stain on the hood of my car that won’t come off. I have tried washing it with soap.
It’s unlikely that Kool Aid will stain car paint unless the surface was already damaged, a situation that may have been pre-existing or, alternatively, could have been caused by the acid in the Kool Aid itself. In either case, the only way to fix a damaged painted surface is to sand and buff it. As long as the stain isn’t deep, this method will fix it right up.
You Will Need:
- 3000 grit sand paper
- Meguiar’s Rubbing Compound
- Terry cloth towel
- Car wax or polish (optional)
Steps to Remove the Stain:
- The key is to never allow the sandpaper to rub a dry surface. Always keep it lubricated with water. If it goes dry, add more water, or you’ll end up with a scratchy mess.
- After moistening the area, add water to the sandpaper until it is wet. Lightly sand the affected area with the WET, very fine, 3000 grit sandpaper.
- Once the stain is gone, apply a rubbing compound. Use firm strokes with a clean terry cloth towel. If you use a different rubbing compound, be sure to follow label directions.
- After you’ve successfully applied the rubbing compound, wipe the area clean and dry with a lint free microfiber cloth.
- Repeat if necessary.
- If desired, finish with a coat of wax or polish.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Ensure that the sand paper stays very wet during the sanding process.
- For very light stains, you may be able to skip the sanding step and remove the discoloration with the rubbing compound alone.
- Make sure you do not over sand the finish. Sanding too hard or using a low-grit paper will cause gouging, and you will likely need to have it professionally repaired.
- Some rubbing compounds require the use of a buffer. You can rent these from home improvement or tool rental stores but be careful – it’s easy to cause a bigger mess if you don’t know what you are doing.
- If you are unsure about completing this process at home, do not hesitate to have the stain professionally removed.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods