Serenity asked: How do I remove applesauce from the carpet?
While applesauce is sticky and goopy, it is relatively easy to remove apple or applesauce stains from carpeting. With a few simple steps, the stain will be gone in no time.
You Will Need:
- Bucket or bowl
- Dish soap
- Sponge or Soft cloths
- Household ammonia
Steps to Remove the Applesauce:
- Begin by scraping up as much of the applesauce as possible. A spoon or other blunt object works well for this.
- Fill a bucket or bowl with warm water.
- Add a squirt of dish soap. Mix the soap into the water until suds begin to form.
- Moisten the cloth with the soapy water.
- Blot the stain. As you are blotting the applesauce will transfer to the cloth.
- Switch to a clean section of the cloth and rinse the cloth frequently to keep from reapplying the applesauce to the carpet.
- Once the stain is removed, moisten a clean cloth with plain water.
- Blot the area to “rinse” and remove the soap.
- If there is still a stain, mix one tablespoon of ammonia with two cups of warm water.
- Moisten a cloth with mixture.
- Blot the stain with the ammonia mixture until the stain is removed.
- Rinse again with a cloth and clean water.
- Once the stain and any soap residue is removed, blot the area with a dry cloth to remove any remaining moisture.
- Allow the area to air dry completely.
- Vacuum when dry to restore the carpet texture.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Spot test a hidden area before using ammonia on the stained spot. This will ensure there is no discoloration or adverse effects to the carpet.
- Never mix ammonia with bleach products as it will create toxic fumes.
- Always blot when cleaning carpet. Rubbing will push the stain further into the carpet and can damage the carpet fibers.
- If a carpet steamer is available, it can be used for even easier stain removal. The suction will help remove the excess water and applesauce from the carpet fibers easily.
- Though window cleaners contain ammonia, they do not work well for removing stains. The blue dye in the window cleaners will leave a new stain behind.