Lawrence asked: How do I remove a Windex stain from our car’s carpet? My wife spilled a Windex bottle on the back floor of our car on the carpet. It looks like a permanent water stain. I would like to get rid of the stain. Imagine my surprise to see Windex being recommended to remove stains on carpet!
Windex is indeed a good stain remover for carpeting. However, it is not recommended that colored Windex be used as this can lead to another stain – blue. If this has occurred on your carpet, follow these steps to remove the unwanted coloring.
You Will Need:
- Mild detergent
- Soft cloths
- Heavy object
- Wet Vac (optional)
Steps to Remove the Blue Stain:
- Begin by moistening the area with a small amount of water.
- Apply a small amount of OxiClean to the surface area and allow it to set for several minutes.
- Blot the stain with a clean cloth to remove the OxiClean.
- Rinse by blotting the area with a soft cloth moistened with water.
- Next, mix a small amount of mild detergent with warm water in the bucket.
- Use a sponge to gently blot the sudsy water onto the stained area.
- Rinse thoroughly as before by blotting with a clean cloth/sponge moistened with clean water.
- Ensure that all of the soap is removed or the residue will attract dirt and cause the area to become soiled more quickly.
- Once the area is clean and rinsed, it will be necessary to remove as much water as possible to avoid a watermark.
- Press clean, dry cloths on the area to absorb as much as possible.
- Lay a couple layers of cloths over the area and apply a heavy object to the top of the cloths. The pressure from the heavy object will help to absorb the remaining water.
- If there is a wet vac available, it will be helpful to vacuum the excess water out of the carpet.
- After several hours, remove the heavy object and cloths and allow the area to air dry completely.
- Vacuum the area with a regular vacuum to restore the texture of the carpeting.
Additional Tips and Ideas:
- If the OxiClean does not remove the stain, stain removers such as Spray ‘n Wash can also be applied.
- Do not apply bleach to any areas where there is ammonia. Mixing these two liquids results in hazardous fumes.
- For severe dye stains, refer to the removal methods found on How to Remove Hair Dye from Carpet.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods