Maarie asked: How do I remove bumper stickers from a car bumper? It is a political sticker, and I have not been able to remove all of it.
Bumper stickers are similar to other stickers, except they remain on the car for so long, that they become difficult to remove. As they sit on the car, they not only become firmly attached, they also become less pliable, making them more difficult to remove. Fortunately, with a few simple steps, you can soften them up and peel them away.
You Will Need:
- Hair dryer or Heat gun
- Razor blade or plastic scraper
- Adhesive remover
- Soft cloths
Steps to Remove the Sticker:
- If the sticker is still pliable, simply lift the corner and skip to step 6.
- If the sticker will not start to peel, heat it to loosen it slightly.
- Turn a hairdryer on high heat and hold it about six inches from the sticker. A heat gun is also effective, but should be held about 8-10 inches away as the heat is more intense.
- Heat the sticker for a couple of minutes.
- When the sticker is loose enough, lift a corner. If the corner still won’t lift, use a razor blade or plastic scraper (a plastic credit card will work) to carefully get it started.
- Pull the sticker back onto itself. Do not pull straight up or it will not come off as smoothly, and you risk tearing the corner off.
- Keep peeling the sticker back, applying more heat if needed. Do not apply constant heat, especially if using a heat gun, as this can melt the sticker.
- Once the sticker is completely removed, it will be necessary to remove any sticky residue that was left behind.
- Apply an adhesive remover or WD-40 to the sticky residue with a soft cloth.
- Allow the remover to sit on the adhesive for a couple of minutes.
- Wipe away with a clean cloth.
- Repeat as necessary until the residue is removed.
- Clean the area with a clean cloth and water.
Additional Tips and Advice
- For additional adhesive removers, see our guide How to Remove Sticker Residue.
- If using a heat gun, keep your fingers our of the path of the heat or it may cause burns.
- Use caution if starting the sticker with a razor blade so that the paint on the car does not become scratched.