Janet asked: How do I clean up oil spills on a glass stove top? When stir-frying, oil from the pan “hissed” over onto the cook top causing the oil to become cooked onto the surface. I used ceramic cleaner and got most of it. Do you have any suggestions for this type of oil spill?
Oil splatters and splashes are common on the stove top. When they are cooked on, they quickly become unsightly. Fortunately, there are several ways to remove them.
You Will Need:
- Dawn dish soap
- Baking soda
- Soft cloths
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
Steps to Remove the Grease:
- When grease splatters cover the stovetop, it is easiest to tackle the fresh oils first.
- Moisten a sponge or soft cloth with water.
- Add a small amount of Dawn dish soap and wipe down the surface of the stove top. If Dawn is not available, another type of grease-fighting dish soap will work fine.
- Rinse the sponge or cloth frequently and wipe away all the residue. The dish soap will cut through the grease allowing it to be removed.
- If the grease remains, mix a paste with baking soda and water.
- Apply the paste to the greasy areas and allow it to set for several minutes.
- Scrub the area with a soft cloth or sponge. The baking soda acts as a mild abrasive that will remove the greasy residue.
- When the grease is removed, wipe the excess baking soda away.
- Wash and rinse the surface completely.
Additional Tips and Advice
- The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is a special cleaning sponge that removes many stains, and is safe to use on most surfaces. Using it with the cleaning products above will provide extra cleaning power to get the grease removed more quickly.
- There are other products that will cut through burnt on grease as well. Coca Cola can be poured over the spots and allowed to set. The liquid will eat through the grease allowing it to be removed. Vinegar can also be used as a mild acid to remove the burnt on grease.
- Avoid using harsh abrasives such as brillo pads. These will surely mar the surface of the stove and leave scratch marks all over.
- Cerama Bryte makes a product designed specifically for removing tough grease stains from glass cooktops. Simply apply the cleaner following the package instructions. Once the cooked-on grease becomes “gummy,” wipe it away with a soft cloth. Repeat until the grease is removed.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods