Cigarette burns are usually small but noticeable, especially when in a high traffic area. Fortunately, with a little cutting and gluing they can be easily fixed and your carpets will look almost new again.
Removing Cigarette Burns
There are two issues you are fixing when removing a cigarette burn: 1) replacing the burnt fibers and 2) removing any stains from the scorched area.
What you will need:
- Carpet Cement
- Cleaning Solution for scorch marks of 1 part hydrogen peroxide with 10 parts water (safe on natural and synthetic fibers)
- Hand held vacuum
- Heavy Book
- Wide-toothed comb
How to remove and replace the burnt fibers:
- Begin by sanding away scorch marks with the sandpaper.
- Vacuum any debris away.
- Remove remaining black fibers by cutting them out with scissors.
- If a scorch mark remains, soak a cloth with the cleaning solution and blot the stain working from the outside towards the middle.
- Spay with water to rinse and blot to dry.
- Allow to dry completely.If the remaining hole is very small and unnoticeable, you can stop here. If you need to patch the hole, continue on with the following steps:
- Remove some fibers from a hidden spot of carpeting such as the back of the closet or under the furniture or remove fuzz by shaving or pulling at the carpet with tweezers. You will need enough fibers or fuzz to fill in the hole you have just cleared out in the previous steps.
- Roll the fibers into the shape of the burn hole.
- Apply a good carpet cement to the hole and push the fibers into the cement.
- Cover with a piece of paper and a heavy book.
- Let this dry for several hours.
- Remove paper and book and gently comb carpet with wide-toothed comb to blend in with existing carpeting.
- If the burn is too large to fill with fibers, consider replacing the section of carpeting. For instructions on how to replace a piece of carpeting, see the article on How to Fix Bleached Carpet.
- If the burn area is excessively large, you may be in for a more extensive repair or even complete carpet replacement. In lieu of this, consider a nice, decorative throw rug!
- If you are unsure of this procedure, or uncomfortable in performing the necessary steps, you should not hesitate to contact a carpet professional who will perform the repairs for you. You can find carpet repair professionals in your area by checking your local Chamber of Commerce or the yellow pages.
- If in doubt about the qualifications of any professional, before allowing them into your home, check with your local Better Business Bureau, either by phone or online.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods