Catherine asked: How do I get the brown coffee oil stains off the outside of a plastic drip coffee pot? The top of the lid for the water reservoir has become stained brown and nothing I’ve tried removes the stain. The lid for the water reservoir sits above the basket where the grounds are placed for brewing.
Removing coffee stains from plastic can be difficult once the plastic becomes discolored. Since plastic tends to absorb these stains, it is necessary to use a product that will bleach the stain away. Here are several products that will help to remove the discoloration and leave your coffee maker looking new again.
You Will Need:
- Baking soda
- Rubbing alcohol
- Dish detergent
- Kitchen Cleaner (ex: Clorox)
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
- Soft Cloths
- Cotton balls
Steps to Remove the Coffee Stains:
- If the stains are fresh, clean them with water and a mild dish detergent.
- Spray the area with a kitchen cleaner and allow it to sit for a several minutes before wiping it away.
- If the stain remains, moisten a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with water and gently rub it over the area. These sponges are fantastic at removing all kinds of stains and are safe to use on nearly every surface.
- Rinse with water.
- If the stain persists, moisten a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and rub the area with it.
- If the staining is severe, moisten a soft cloth or several cotton balls liberally with rubbing alcohol and lay it over the stain.
- Cover the area with plastic and tape down the edges. This will prevent the alcohol from evaporating before it has time to remove the stain.
- Allow the alcohol to sit on the stain for several hours before removing.
- The same method can be used with chlorine bleach or vinegar.
- When the stain is removed, rinse the area and allow it to dry completely.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- Avoid any harsh scrubbers or cleaners as these can scratch the surface. These scratches will then collect stains and dirt faster making the plastic surface look worse.
- The longer stains set on the plastic, the more permanent they will become. Treat stains promptly for the easiest and most successful removal.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods