Rako asked: How do I remove a crepe paper stain from vinyl flooring? During a party, champagne was spilled on the vinyl floor and then a piece of pink crepe paper streamer fell on the wet patch. It was not removed until the next morning. The result was a pink stain on the vinyl.
Crepe paper stains are treated the same as dye stains. As with all dyes, the longer they sit on the surface, the more deeply they are absorbed. Therefore prompt treatment is always preferable when it comes to removing dye stains.
You Will Need:
- Rubbing alcohol
- Household ammonia
- White vinegar
- Sponges or soft cloths
Steps to Remove the Stain:
- Begin by pouring a small amount of rubbing alcohol onto the stain. Rub the area with a clean cloth or sponge. If the color begins to transfer to the towel, continue with repeated applications.
- For any remaining stains, mix two tablespoons of household ammonia with 1 cup of water.
- Moisten a clean cloth with the mixture and use it to wipe the stained area. Rub the stain using small, circular motions.
- Repeat application of the mixture and wiping until the stain is completely removed. Switch to a clean portion of the cloth frequently and for each additional application.
- If any color remains, wipe the area with white vinegar.
- When all of the stain is removed, rinse away any remaining cleaning products with plain water using a clean cloth or sponge.
- Finally, dry the area completely with a soft towel.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- Some cleaning products may affect the finish and/or coloring of the flooring. Test a small hidden area first to ensure that there are no adverse effects.