John asked: I have double sided tape adhesive on my vinyl flooring from last year’s patio door weather kit. How do I remove it?
The challenge of removing adhesives is not new. There are many creative solutions to this problem. Here are several options that are commonly found around the house that will help to loosen the adhesive and allow it to be removed.
You Will Need:
- Remover (Choose one):
- Rubbing alcohol
- Avon Skin So Soft
- Goo Gone
- Soft cloths
- Mild soap
Steps to Remove the Tape:
- Start by selecting a remover.
- Apply some of the product to the surface of the tape.
- Allow it to set for several minutes. This gives the remover time to loosen the bond between the tape and the flooring.
- Peel up the corner of the tape and begin to pull it back.
- Apply additional remover to the underside of the tape as you go. Work slowly and evenly for the best results.
- Once the tape is removed, moisten a soft cloth or sponge with the removal product and scrub away any sticky residue that remains.
- When all of the residue is removed, clean the floor with soap and water to remove any of the removal product that may have been left behind.
- Allow the area to dry completely.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Paint thinner and lighter fluid can also be used. Use caution as both of these items are flammable. They should only be used in well ventilated, flame-free areas.