Dennis asked: How do I clean fingerprints from slate? I kneel on the slate in front of my fireplace to light gas logs. My hands sweat some, and I now have white fingerprints on the slate. Please tell me how to remove them. Thank you.
Versatile and durable, slate is a great surface for flooring, countertops, and fireplaces. But while it is highly resistant to stains, it’s not immune to them. To remove fingerprint marks from slate and add a nice shine at the same time, follow these simple steps.
You Will Need:
- White vinegar
- Soft cloth
- Clean spray bottle
- Baking soda
Steps to Remove the Stain:
- Before you begin, make sure the area is free of loose dirt or debris. Clean it with normal cleaning methods to clean the surface.
- Add white vinegar to the spray bottle.
- Spray the vinegar directly to the white spots.
- Wait several moments.
- Wipe and polish with the soft cloth.
- Repeat if necessary. If the stain persists, make a paste of baking soda and white vinegar. Apply to the spots and rub with a sponge.
- Clean away any residue with normal cleaning procedures.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If you try to use another cleaner on slate, follow up with white vinegar to remove the residue.
- Never try to clean slate with abrasives.
- For information on cleaning slate floors, see our guide How to Clean Slate Floors.