Jeff asked: How do I clean gas stains off my truck? I have a gas stain right below my gas cap from when I put gas in my truck. It is about 11 inches long, and I don’t know how to remove it.
Gas drips can easily happen while filling the gas tank. If the gasoline is left to sit on the surface, it can eventually eat through the finish and leave a “stain.” Fortunately, more often than not, the gas evaporates before any real damage is done. The remaining marks can be removed with a good wash and wax. Here’s what to do.
You Will Need:
- Quality car soap
- Quality car wax
- Electric buffer (optional)
- Soft cloths
Steps to Remove the Gas Stains:
- Begin by filling a bucket with hot water.
- Mix in the appropriate amount of soap.
- Use the sponge or soft cloth to wash the stained area (heck, just wash the whole truck while you’re at it).
- Dry with a soft towel or soft cloths.
- Apply a coat of wax following the package instructions.
- Remove the wax and buff the area well. Electric buffers can make the job a little faster and easier.
- Repeat the wax applications and buffing, if necessary, until the stain is removed.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- If the stain is not removed with washing and waxing, then the surface of the paint may have been damaged. This may require a touch up paint job to hide the stain.
- To prevent future stains, always wipe away any gas drips/spills immediately when they occur.