Doug asked: How do I remove a greasy film on windows? I have used every cleaner on my windows. When the morning sun hits the windows, they look greasy and streaky. Help.
There are two factors when cleaning windows. The cleaning product you are using, as well as the cleaning method. Both are important in a clean, streak free window. If this basic streak-free process for removing grease, dirt, and grime from windows doesn’t work, check additional tips for a more powerful option.
You Will Need:
- A squeegee
- Clean sponge
- 5 gallon bucket
- Dish soap
- Microfiber towels
Steps to Remove the Film:
- Squirt about one teaspoon of dish soap into two gallons of cool water. Agitate it to mix.
- Dip the sponge in the solution, then squeeze to remove excess liquid.
- Scrub the glass with the sponge. Rinse as needed, making sure to squeeze the water out before returning to the glass.
- Once you’ve thoroughly scrubbed the entire surface, tilt the squeegee so that about 1” of the edge is touching the glass. Moving from top to bottom, clean a streak down each side.
- Next, clean a swath the entire width of the squeegee at the top of the window. Move from side to side, ensuring that the top edge of the squeegee meets the window frame. If you leave moisture behind, it will run and cause streaking.
- After each pass across the width of the window, wipe the squeegee blade clean on a towel.
- Continue, overlapping the clean part by about 2” until the entire window is clean.
- Put a clean towel over your finger and wipe the edges of the window frame to ensure all of the moisture has been removed.
Additional Tips and Advice
- For especially tough cases, try Winsol. It’s formulated to remove haze, grease, alkali residues, and pollutants that can leave your windows in poor condition. It also removes window corrosion with professional results.
- Use a high quality squeegee for best results.
- Avoid working in direct sunlight when possible. The heat from the sunlight causes the cleaner to dry before it can be thoroughly removed. This can leave streaks and a residue behind.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods