Michael asked: How do I remove hard candy and jolly ranchers from carpet? I have a light colored carpet with a blue jolly rancher stuck on it.
When hard candy dries on carpet, the sticky outer layer bonds with the carpet fibers. Once the candy is removed, the remaining stain can be treated with a few simple steps.
You Will Need:
- Soft cloths
- Stain remover
Steps to Remove the Candy:
- Begin by moistening the candy with cold water – it may take a while. This will dissolve the sugars that are bonding it to the carpet. Once it is dissolved enough to loosen, pull the large pieces of candy out of the carpet. If needed, a spoon can be used to scrape the candy off of the fibers.
- Next, apply a stain remover to any stains that remain on the carpet.
- Blot with a clean cloth to absorb the stain remover along with the stain. Switch to a clean portion of the cloth frequently to avoid reapplying the stain.
- Blot the area with a cloth moistened with white vinegar if the stain persists.
- Once the stain is removed, blot the area with a clean cloth moistened with plain water to rinse.
- Blot with a dry cloth to remove any excess moisture.
- Allow the area to dry completely.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If you’re having difficulty dissolving the candy to loosen it from the carpet fibers, try a citrus cleaner. This works well as a stain remover as well.
- Do not use hot water as this can set the stains that are left behind from the candy. Cold water will dissolve the candy without increasing the stain.