Question: “How can I clean hard water spots from soft plastic window coverings or plastic windows.”
Hard water stains are caused by the deposits of calcium and magnesium that are left on a surface. They are particularly easy to see on plastic windows since they create a cloudy film over the clear plastic. Though they can be a nuisance to remove, the process is quite simple.
You Will Need:
- Spray bottle
- Soft cloth
- White vinegar
- Soft-bristled scrub brush
- Enzyme digester
- A lemon
The Removal Process:
- Begin by cleaning the area as normal to remove any dirt and dust.
- If possible, remove upright plastic pieces and lay them as flat as possible.
- Combine white vinegar and water, in equal parts, in the spray bottle.
- Spray the stained area and allow it to soak for at least 15 minutes. If the piece is not laying flat, you can place a cloth that has been moistened with the solution on top of the stain (or tie it around the area)
- For stubborn stains, allow the solution to soak for several hours to overnight. In areas with heavy levels of staining, use undiluted vinegar in place of the solution.
- Remove the cloth and gently scrub away any remaining stains with a soft-bristled scrub brush.
- Repeat as necessary.
- If the vinegar does not remove the deposits, try using an enzyme digester. Nature’s Miracle Hard Floor Cleaner is one that is specifically made for hard surfaces like plastic, but any enzyme cleaner should work. Follow the directions on the label of your selected cleaner.
- Another option is to cut a slice of lemon and rub the lemon over the deposits. Scrub the deposits with a scrub brush, then rinse the area clean.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If your plastic food containers are stained, simply soak the entire container in the vinegar solution for at least 15 minutes (or as long as overnight for tougher stains). Wash as normal before use.
- There are commercial limescale cleaners that you can buy at most supermarkets and online, such as Simple Green Limescale Remover.
- Consider getting a water softener for your home to prevent this problem from returning.
- Wiping a surface dry after cleaning it will prevent the minerals from being deposited onto the surface.
- Stain Removal by Stephanie Zia
- The Miracle of Lemons by Dr. Penny Standway