Carla asked: How do I remove latex paint from wood laminate flooring? Our flooring is a laminate, and we recently had a painter come in and paint the trim. He got a few spots of interior semi-gloss latex paint on the floor. I’m not sure where to start. The directions for everyday cleaning of the floor indicate to use only water and a dust mop. Can you help?
Fortunately, latex paint is much easier to remove from most surfaces than oil based paint. There are cleaners that will release the paint’s bond without causing damage to the floor. Here are the steps to remove the paint and keep the surface of your floor looking great.
You Will Need:
- Lift Off Paint Remover or Zep Citrus Degreaser
- Warm water
- Soft cloths
- Wood floor cleaner (optional)
Steps to Remove the Paint:
- Spray a small amount of one of the above cleaners onto the paint.
- Allow it to set for a minute or two.
- Wipe the paint away with a soft cloth.
- Repeat as necessary until all of the paint is removed.
- Rinse the area thoroughly with a soft cloth.
- The area can also be cleaned with a floor cleaner to remove any remaining residue.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Fresh paint can be removed with just soap and water. Wipe up with a moist cloth immediately for the easiest clean up.
- Paint takes a couple of days to set. Once it has set, it will require additional removal methods, such as the ones above.