Barbara asked: How do I get hard melted crayon off a stuffed animal’s fur? I bought this animal at a garage sale. It was new with the tags still on it. I did not notice that it had melted crayon on its leg until I got it home. I put dishwashing detergent on the spot with the crayon and washed it in the washing machine. It did not make a difference. It is still all on there and will not come off. Help! Thank you so much.
Melted crayons can make a real mess. Essentially, all crayons consist of is wax and coloring. When you remove the wax, often the coloring comes out with it. Follow these simple steps to remove the crayon quickly and effortlessly.
You Will Need:
- Brown paper bags
- Spoon or dull knife
- Paper towels or soft cloths
Steps to Remove the Crayon:
- Begin by placing the stuffed animal in the freezer for a short while to harden the wax.
- Remove it from the freezer and use a spoon or dull knife to scrape away as much of the crayon as possible.
- Next, preheat an iron to a low-heat setting with NO steam.
- Cut a square of brown paper bag that is small enough that it can be easily maneuvered, but several inches larger than the face of the iron.
- Place the brown paper bag on top of the crayon area.
- Carefully place the iron on top of the brown paper bag. The heat from the iron will melt the wax in the crayon and it will transfer to the bag.
- Repeat until the crayon is removed, using a fresh piece of brown paper each time.
- If any color remains once the crayon is gone, treat it with a stain remover and launder as usual.
- Allow the animal to dry completely and brush fur to restore original texture.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- If it’s easier to manipulate, a white cotton cloth can be used in place of the brown paper bag.
- Do not place the printed side of the brown paper bag over the fur of the stuffed animal. The ink from the bag will transfer to the fur leaving you with a second stain to remove.
- If you are unable to place the stuffed animal in the freezer, rub an ice cube over the melted crayon to harden it.
- Never use this wax removal method on a living animal.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods