Mold can grow on virtually any object as long as enough moisture is present in the air or on the surface. Fur naturally contains oils (moisture) that would allow mold to grow. Here’s how to remove the fungus from your fur item and prevent it from returning.
You Will Need:
- A brush
- A paper towel
- Isopropyl alcohol or white vinegar
Steps to Remove the Mold:
- First, take the item outside. The mold spores will likely spread in the air as you remove them, and it is better to avoid spreading them inside.
If there is a lot of mold, it is a good idea to put on long sleeves and pants, a dust mask, and eye protection.
- Brush the mold off the item with a brush or if preferred, a paper towel.
- If you are able to remove all of the mold by brushing it off, place the item in direct sunlight for one hour. This will kill the spores that enable the mold to return. Do not leave the item in the sun for a long time (several hours) as it could damage any dyes or other fibers that may be on it.
- If you were not able to remove all the mold by brushing it, wet a paper towel with isopropyl alcohol. Do not use rubbing alcohol as it contains other additives, including dyes, which could damage your fur item.
- Squeeze the paper towel so it is only damp, not dripping.
- Lightly brush the isopropyl alcohol over a small hidden area of the fur to look for any adverse reaction. If your item has been dyed, the alcohol could loosen or remove the dye. If safe, brush the damp paper towel over the area that was moldy.
- If it was not safe to use the isopropyl alcohol, you can use white vinegar instead. Again, test the vinegar in a small hidden area first.
- Once the mold is removed, clean the area where the item was stored in a similar way to remove any spores that may remain.
- Mold requires humidity to grow. Placing a dehumidifier near the item may help to prevent the mold from returning. This can be a store bought machine, a small room container such as DampRid, or a DIY version such as a bowl of baking soda.