Maria asked: How do remove “curry” odor from my son’s plastic race car twin bed frame? My son’s Little Tikes race car plastic bed fram and attached toy/car “trunk,” (the kind that surrounds an entire mattress and boxspring) has taken on an odor of curry. No matter what I clean it with, the odor remains. Many thanks for any and all suggestions.
Removing odors from any kind of plastic can be difficult. With such a large surface, the removal will likely take some time, but it will be worth the effort. Here are a couple of methods that can be used to remove the smell.
You Will Need:
- Lemon juice
- Baking soda
- Dish soap
Steps to Remove the Odor:
- Fill a bucket with warm water and add dish detergent. Dish detergents are designed to break down oils which can cause odors.
- Use a sponge or soft cloth to wipe the bed down with the mixture.
- If the plastic can withstand it (and not become discolored) add a small amount of bleach to the water for additional cleaning power. If you are unsure of discoloration, test a small, hidden area first.
- If that does not work, mix baking soda with water to form a paste.
- Spread the paste over the surface of the plastic. For larger projects, work in small sections.
- Allow the paste to dry completely and vacuum away or wipe off with a moist cloth.
- Another mixture can be made with one part baking soda, one part lemon juice and two parts water.
- Moisten a soft cloth with the mixture and apply it to the surface. Allow it to set for several minutes before wiping away with a clean cloth moistened with water.
- Vinegar is a well known odor-remover. Wipe the surfaces of the plastic with vinegar.
- Allow it to set for several minutes. Then, either rinse or wash it away.
- The smell of vinegar may linger slightly, but will dissipate after a day or two.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Odo-ban is a commercial product that is designed to remove odors from a variety of surfaces. It may work well on such a large area such as a bed.
- These same removal methods can be used with other plastic items as well, such as dishes.