William asked: How do I remove petroleum jelly off of a suede couch? I gave my roommate a tattoo, and I used petroleum jelly to keep it moist. When it was finished, I put a thin layer over the entire thing to seal it before it could heal. She sat on our couch and it got on the back of the couch. I didn’t realize it, and it got in several places.
Petroleum jelly and suede are a dreadful combination. The oil in petroleum jelly can seem impossible at times to remove from this sensitive fabric. Try the method below to absorb the oily goo and remove it from the fabric for good. This method is safe for most fabrics since there is no soap or water used in the cleaning process.
You Will Need:
- Paper towels
- Corn starch
Steps to Remove the Petroleum Jelly:
- Begin by using the spoon to scrape away as much of the jelly as possible. Work from the outside towards the center to avoid spreading the stain. Using a lifting, upward motion will keep from pushing it further into the fibers.
- Next, use a white paper towel to blot the stain. As you apply pressure with the paper towel, you will begin to see it transferring from the fabric to the paper towel.
- Continue blotting until no more petroleum jelly transfers.
- The final step is to apply corn starch to the remaining jelly in the fabric. Brush it gently on the fabric to work it into the fibers.
- Allow the corn starch to set on the stain for a minimum of one hour. The corn starch will absorb the moisture from the oil and dry out the petroleum jelly.
- Remove the corn starch by vacuuming it away.
- If any stain remains, cover with corn starch and allow it to soak up any remaining oil.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If the fabric is washable, a grease cutting dish detergent (ex: Dawn) can be used to remove the greasy residue.
- If the fabric can tolerate hot water, that will also aid in removing the oil.
- Sometimes petroleum jelly will leave a stain on suede, even after the oils are removed. This stain is permanent and cannot be removed.
- If the stain cannot be removed, take it to a professional cleaner to have the stain removed.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods