Edeline said, “Printing on metal bottle cap. How do you remove them? I have searched the whole internet for an answer. I need it for a craft you see? And I would like for it to be clean of any prints. Can you help me?”
Metal bottle caps are often printed with logos and other designs or information. Once this printing is removed, you will have a plain metal bottle cap that can be reused for other projects or even for home brewing purposes. Follow the steps below to remove the ink from the bottle caps.
You Will Need:
- A cleaning solution:
- Mineral spirits
- Isopropyl alcohol
- A bowl
- A cloth
- Steel wool or SOS pad
Steps to Remove the Printing:
- Select a cleaning solution from the list above.
- Ventilate the area well to prepare for the fumes from the cleaning solution.
- Put the bottle cap into a bowl and pour in enough cleaning solution to completely cover the cap.
- Leave the bottle cap in the bowl for an hour.
- Follow any safety precautions that are needed for your selected product, such as by putting on chemical gloves or splash goggles.
- Rub the cap with a cloth to scrub off the printing.
- If the printing is stubborn, wash it off to remove the current cleaning product on it, then try another cleaning solution.
- Another option is to try using steel wool to scrub off the printing. However, be very gentle as aluminum can easily scratch.
- Clean the cap thoroughly with soap and water to remove any chemical residue that may be on it.
- If your aluminum caps need to be polished after the ink is removed, use the guide How to Clean and Polish Aluminum.