Lisa asked, “I was given an old cast iron corn bread muffin pan (muffins are shaped like ears of corn) and need to know how to clean it properly. It has some rust on it.
Over time, cast iron pans can get rusty. Use one of the methods below to remove the rust.
You Will Need:
- Cooking spray
- A soft cloth
- Dish soap
- A raw potato
Steps to Remove the Rust:
- Spray the rusty area with cooking spray and rub away the rust with a soft cloth. Clean off the excess oil when the rust is removed. ¹
- Moisten the rust with dish soap.²
- Cut off one side of a potato and scrub the soapy area with the raw potato.²
- Rinse away the rust and allow the pan to dry completely before reseasoning the pan.¹
Additional Tips and Advice
- For a move vigorous scrubbing, use steel wool or a steel wire brush.¹
- Joey Green’s Cleaning Magic
- Haley’s Hints by Graham and Rosemary Haley