Yvon asked: How do I remove small spots of rust from a chrome bumper. There are very tiny spots of rust on the front bumper of my truck. How do I remove them permanently?
When metal begins to rust, it can either occur underneath and break through the surface, or form on the surface. If the rust spots are on the surface, they can be removed with the method below. However, if the rust is under the chrome, and breaking through to the surface, it will not be able to be removed permanently. Here are the steps to remove surface rust.
You Will Need:
- Chrome cleaner/polish
- Fine steel wool
- Rubber gloves
- Soft cloths
Steps to Remove the Rust:
- Begin by washing the surface completely with chrome cleaner and water. This will allow you to accurately see the rust spots without having to look around dirt and other debris.
- Apply chrome polish to the rusted area.
- Apply additional polish to the steel wool.
- Begin gently rubbing the steel wool over the rusted area. Ensure that the area is ALWAYS moist. Allowing the steel wool to rub on a dry surface will result in scratches and damage.
- Keep rubbing the area in a circular motion, but do not apply pressure, just let the steel wool work as you rub lightly. Applying pressure will result in scratches and damage to the surface.
- Add more polish as needed to keep a moist workspace.
- Rinse the area with clean water.
- Check for any additional rust spots. Treat them by repeating the above steps.
- Once all of the rust spots are removed, clean and polish the chrome to restore the shine and offer additional protection.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If the chrome is rusted underneath, it will have to be repaired by a professional or replaced.
- Be sure that your bumper has a true chrome finish before using the above method. If it is just a painted metal, it will be scratched by the steel wool.
- Coke has also been used to remove rust from chrome. Wad up a piece of aluminum foil and moisten it with Coke. Rub the moistened foil over the rusted area (keeping it moist at all times). Once the rust is removed, clean and polish with a chrome product.
- If the chrome piece is small, allow it to soak in the Coke for 15 minutes. You could also moisten a cloth with the Coke and lay it on top of the rusty area in place of soaking.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods