Linda asked: How do I remove rust stains from ceramic tiles? We have rust marks on our ceramic outdoor flooring from the metal chair legs. Thanks
Rust can be a difficult stain to work with, but fortunately, cleaning it from outdoor ceramic is pretty easy. There are a variety of products on the market to remove rust from nearly every surface. They often have varying results. If you haven’t had any luck with commercial rust remover products, give this home remedy a try.
You Will Need:
- Thick rubber gloves
- Eye protection
- Clean rag
Steps to Remove the Stain:
- Wear rubber gloves and eye protection when working with kerosene.
- Wet the clean rag with kerosene.
- Simply wipe away the rust stains.
- For tougher stains, soak the rag and leave it lying directly over the affected area for a few moments, then wipe clean.
- When the rust stain is gone, rinse the area with clean water.
- If there is still residue from the kerosene, wash the area with warm to hot water and detergent.
- Rinse well and allow the area to dry.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Although it should not be a problem when working outdoors, make sure you have plenty of ventilation when you’re working with kerosene.
- Use proper handling, storage and disposal procedures when handling kerosene. These will vary with your locality, but in general, keep the fuel away from all sources of ignition. Store it in a tightly closed and properly labeled container away from children. Do not pour it in the yard or down drains or sewers.