Andi asked: How do I remove Shout spray marks from the outside of my washer? I sprayed Shout on clothing before putting it in the washer, and spray got on the outside of the washer. I tried to clean it off with Windex and soap and water. It will not come off.
Even though it’s a good stain remover, Shout overspray can create a stubborn mess. To get it off the exterior surface of your washing machine, give this technique a try. Be sure to read all of the instructions before you begin. Doing so will greatly reduce the risk of damage to the finish of your machine.
You Will Need:
- Soft cloths
Steps to Remove the Stain:
- Moisten one soft cloth with water, and the second with acetone. The cloths should be damp, but not wet.
- Wipe the acetone over the spot you’re trying to remove. If possible, avoid getting the acetone on areas not affected by the stain.
- Rub gently with the same cloth for a few seconds. Don’t scrub or rub for too long, or you may remove the paint.
- Immediately wipe the area clean with the second cloth dampened with water.
- Inspect the area before repeating the process. If you notice any damage to the painted surface of your washing machine, you may want to stop trying to remove the stain.
- If necessary, continue quickly applying the acetone then removing it with water until the stain is gone.
Additional Tips and Advice
- For small areas or narrow strips of overspray, replace the cloths with cotton swabs. This will give you more exact application of the acetone.
- Rinse the cloth with water after each use to prevent spreading the acetone further.
- Acetone can be found at your local hardware store.