Maya asked: How do I clean up silicon that spilled in a suitcase? My aunt came to our home, but on her way here, she spilled a bottle of silicon in her suitcase.
Silicone is a substance that requires a removal product designed specifically for this purpose. Once you have chosen a removal product, follow these guidelines for successful removal.
You Will Need:
- Silicone-Be-Gone or other silicone remover
- Rubber gloves
- Well ventilated work area
Steps to Remove the Silicone:
- To remove the silicone, it will require a solvent that will cut through the cured substance.
- Work in a well ventilated area and wear protective gloves to keep the solvent off of your skin and hands.
- Apply the solvent following the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- It may take several hours to complete the removal process, so allow for plenty of time to work on this cleaning project.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Look for the silicone removers at home improvement stores such as Home Depot or Lowe’s. They may also be available at craft stores.
- Though this substance is safe for most surfaces, it is wise to test a small, hidden area first to ensure there are no adverse effects.