Amy asked: I cleaned out a reusable water bottle with soap. Now, I can’t get the taste of soap out. Any suggestions? I have rinsed it with water many, many times. I’m afraid to put lemon juice or vinegar into it because I’m afraid I won’t be able to get those out as well.
Reusable water bottles are made from plastic, which is porous and can absorb its contents and seem to hold onto them for a long time. In this case, the plastic has absorbed some of the soap and it slowly releases when it is filled with water. The first step is to neutralize the soap/detergent and rinse it quickly to get rid of the soapy taste. Then, in the future, avoid letting any soaps or cleaning solutions sit in the water bottle for any length of time. By giving it a quick wash, rinse and allowing it dry thoroughly after each use, the water bottle will stay clean, mold free and ready to offer a fresh drink each time.
You Will Need:
- Hot water
- Drying rack
- Spray bottle (optional)
Steps to Remove the Soapy Taste:
- Start by washing the bottle and rinsing immediately.
- Place a small amount of bleach in the bottle and fill with hot water. It is often convenient to keep a spray bottle filled with bleach under the sink for quick clean-ups.
- Place the lid on the bottle and shake it for 15 seconds.
- Dump out the contents and rinse thoroughly.
- Place the bottle upside down on a drying rack and allow it to dry completely.
Additional Tips and General Cleaning Information
- For daily cleaning, simply wash the bottle with regular dish detergent and rinse immediately. Place on a drying rack and allow it to dry completely.
- If black spots appear in the bottom of the water bottle, it means mold has started to grow. It may work to sanitize it using the method above. If the spots are not removed, recycle the bottle and start fresh with a new one.
- If the soapy taste is not removed with bleach, it may help to try lemon juice or vinegar, using the same methods. If none of these remove the flavor, it will be necessary to recycle the bottle and start fresh with a new one.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods