Meredith asked: How do I remove a stain from a dead animal from brick? I live on an old farm and am transforming an outbuilding. The floor is brick. For a year, the building has been used for storage only. When I opened the door for the first time in months, there were two dead squirrels on the brick floor. There was only pelt and bones left. After cleaning away the remains, there was still quite a stain in that area. How do I remove the stain and disinfect the area completely? Many thanks.
To remove serious stains from brick, use this method the pros use for professional cleaning results. Follow all safety precautions and read the additional tips before you begin.
You Will Need:
- Muriatic acid
- Water source (garden hose, for example)
- Fan for ventilation
- Acid Resistant Gloves
- Stiff brush
- Protective eye wear
Steps to Remove the Stain:
- Put on protective eye wear, acid resistant gloves, and other protective clothing before you begin.
- Open all of the doors and windows, and set up a fan to ensure adequate ventilation.
- Fill the bucket with the desired amount of water.
- Add the proper dilution of muriatic acid to the water, using the label for guidelines. NEVER add water to acid, always add acid to the water. For many situations, one part of acid to nine parts water is effective.
- Either pour a small amount of the cleaning solution on the stain or apply the solution with the stiff brush.
- Scrub with the brush. Continue scrubbing with the acid solution until the stains are gone.
- Rinse the area with a water hose or pour clean water on it. Do not remove fans or close off ventilation until the area is completely dry.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Have baking soda on hand to neutralize acid if you accidentally spill it. If you cannot dry the area completely, sprinkle it with baking soda.
- Acid resistant boots and coveralls are suggested. Always use protective gloves and eye wear when working with acid.
- Muriatic acid may further erode weakened or damaged bricks, so use caution – especially when scrubbing.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods