Joan asked: How do I clean a satin, white, wedding purse that has champagne spilled on it? This happened a few years ago, but want to use the purse.
White satin is notoriously difficult to clean. If the stained garment or item is of particular importance to you, the best option is to take it to a dry cleaner or to a store that sells similar items for advice. If you’re willing to take a chance on cleaning it yourself, here’s one solution that has proven successful in many circumstances.
You Will Need:
- Cool water
- Woolite Extra Delicates Care
- Large bowl
- Soft cloth
Steps to Remove the Stain:
- Mix a small amount of the detergent with the cool water in the bowl to create a cleaning solution.
- Dip the cloth in the solution.
- Blot the affected area of the silk.
- Continue to dip and blot as long as it seems to improve the fabric.
- Allow to air dry, then repeat if necessary.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Woolite Extra Delicates care is formulated for fabrics such as silk. It is free of damaging chemicals and enzymes. It will not cause shrinking, piling, or stretching. If you choose to use another detergent, look for similar qualities to protect your fabric.
- While wet, the fabric may look discolored. Allowing it to air dry will give you a better idea of whether the stain is coming out or not. If the spot cleaning left a water mark, it may be necessary to ‘spot-clean’ the entire purse to return it to a uniform color.
- Treat stains when they are fresh. The longer you wait, the less likely it is that the stain will come out.
- Old stains may take several attempts to remove completely. In these cases, it may be worth it to utilize a professional cleaning service.