Sandie said, “I have a Cannon gas cooker, cream with a black top and the cillit bang has completely filled and made the top go greyish white. The cooker is less than 2 years old. Is there anyway it can be restored to its nice matt black top?”
Cillit Bang is a strong acid cleaner, which can easily damage a many types of surfaces. With a surface as important as your stovetop, any product, including the ones listed below, should be tested first on a small hidden area to look for signs of damage. Here’s what you can try to repair the damage.
Removing the Damage
You Will Need:
Steps to Remove the Damage:
- Get a restoration kit for cooktops, such as Scratch-B-Gone Cooktop Restoration Kit.
- Follow the instructions on the label of your selected product.
Covering the Damage:
There are paints that can be used to cover damaged areas on cooktops. Be sure to only use a paint that is specifically made for this purpose though as regular paints cannot withstand the high temperatures of the cooktop.
Paints to Cover the Damage:
- If the area is small, you can try using a porcelain touch-up, such as Sheffield, which comes in a variety of colors. However, these products have Proposition 65 warnings, so be sure to wear gloves when applying it.
- Stove Bright is another paint that can be used for stovetops and also comes in a variety of colors. Follow the instructions on the label to apply the product.
- Another product you can try to remove the damage with is SiegeClean Glass & Ceramic Cooktop Cleaner.
- Contact your manufacturer to find out if replacement parts are available for your stove. Replacing the top of the stove may be the best option.