Gail asked: How do I clean a laminate floor after tap dancing on it? We laid a laminate floor in our dance studio that was cost effective for us. After dancing on it, we are getting black scuff marks and have to scrub the floor after each class, or the black gets on the dancer’s feet. How can we clean or put a sealant on it so we can just pass over it with a damp mop to clean it?
Laminate floors are low maintenance by nature, but sometimes even they need protection. If you want to fortify your laminate flooring against high traffic or excessive wear, here’s a simple method that will do the job.
You Will Need:
- Laminator Plus Deep Scrub
- Laminator Plus Restore
- Laminator Plus Buff Dry Cleaner
- Sponge mop
- Microfiber mop
- Extra microfiber mop pads
Steps to Protect the Floor:
- Before you can protect your laminate floor, the first step is to prepare the surface. To do so, mist Laminator Plus Deep Scrub onto the floor and let it sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Scrub into the floor with a damp sponge mop.
- Press excess moisture from the sponge mop. Then use the mop to pick up remaining moisture from the floor.
- Rinse the mop and repeat the clean water damp mopping process at least twice to ensure all Deep Scrub residue is gone.
- Once the floor is dry, mist Laminator Plus Restore over the floor.
- Use the microfiber mop to spread the Laminator Plus Restore over the floor in one direction.
- Wait 20 minutes. Repeat if desired. Two coats will provide a satin shine, while three will finish the laminate to a high gloss.
- For routine cleaning and maintenance, mist the floor with Laminator Plus Buff Dry Cleaner. Buff dry with a clean microfiber mop cloth.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Do not pour water on laminate flooring. Do not allow moisture, even in small amounts, to remain on the floor, especially if the joints aren’t sealed. Floors will warp under contact with moisture and the only solution at that point is to replace them.
- For a variety of methods to remove scuff marks from flooring, see our guide How to Remove Scuff Marks from Flooring.