Hair weaves require special cleaning steps and products to keep your hair looking great. With proper care, the weaves will stay healthy and your hair will maintain its strength and durability.
You Will Need:
- Gentle shampoo
- Deep conditioner
- Wide tooth comb
- Warm water
Steps to Wash the Weave:
- It is best to wash and condition your hair every week or two.
- Begin by conditioning the roots with oil. Although this step is not necessary, it is helpful in keeping the natural roots healthy.
- Use a dime size amount of cinnamon or brahmi oil. Work it into the roots by rubbing in a circular motion for 10-15 minutes. Coconut or olive oil can be applied to the strands and ends to provide extra protection during the washing.
- Next, moisten the hair. You don’t want to soak it, but moisten it completely.
- Apply a gentle shampoo and work it into the strands.
- Rinse with clean water. Start rinsing at the roots and allow the water to run to the ends of the strands.
- Next, apply a deep conditioner. Comb through straight hair and use your fingers to comb through curly hair.
- Rinse well with warm water.
- Dry gently by wrapping your hair in a towel. It’s best to let your hair air dry.
- Style hair as usual.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If there is dirt build up under the weave, use a cotton swab to apply tea tree oil.
- Use caution when combing and working with wet hair as it is more prone to breakage and damage.
- Avoid cheap shampoos and conditioners. They are often watered down and do not provide the level of conditioning needed for weaves.
- Spray on, leave in conditioners can be used after cleaning and for maintenance between cleanings.