Mikki asked: How do I clean bamboo knits? I am crocheting a scarf for a Christmas gift. It is made from yarn that is 77% bamboo and 23 % polyamide. The label does not have cleaning instructions on it. Can you help? Thank you.
Bamboo is becoming popular in many different avenues. When it comes to clothing and accessories made from bamboo, proper care is key to keeping the piece beautiful and in good condition.
You Will Need:
- Cold water
- Mild detergent (ex: Woolite)
Steps to Wash the Knit:
Handwashing is best for bamboo pieces.
- Begin by filling the sink or tub with cold water.
- Add a small amount of mild detergent and agitate the water to mix.
- Place the piece into the water and gently swish it around. Avoid wringing or twisting the piece as it can cause it to stretch.
- Remove from the water and rinse with clean, cold water.
- Gently squeeze the water out. Again, do not wring or twist.
- Spread the piece out on a towel or cloth and allow it to air dry completely.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Do not machine dry as the heat can cause damage to the them.
- Do not use bleach on bamboo knit.
- Do not iron bamboo knit.
- Dry cleaning is another option that is safe for this type of material.