Scott asked: How do I wash quick dry materials such as Under Armor? I have some workout clothes made from the synthetic, quick dry material like Under Armour. It is hard to get the sweat smell out of them. Is there a special detergent, or a special way these should be washed? Thanks
Under Armour and other quick dry clothing is designed for sports and athletic use. Though normal washing will get them clean, following the specified care instructions will help keep the pieces from fading and also prevent the fabric from becoming prematurely worn.
You Will Need:
- Laundry detergent
- Garment bag
- Cold water
- Drying rack
- Baking soda
Steps to Wash:
- Quick dry clothing can be washed by hand or on the gentle cycle in the washing machine. If washing in a washing machine, place the items in a garment bag to offer protection from Velcro, hooks, zippers, etc. that could potentially damage the fabric.
- Use cold water when washing to keep the colors bright.
- If there is a sweaty odor in the clothing, add baking soda to the washing water to help get rid of the odor.
- If washing by hand, rinse well and squeeze gently to dry. Avoid wringing tightly as this can cause the piece to lose its shape.
- Dry the clothing in the dryer on the low heat setting. Do not use any dryer sheets as it will cause the fabric to break down quicker. The clothing can also be air dried on a rack.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Though the fabric will not likely shrink in the warm/hot water, it will cause it to become worn more quickly.
- Do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets when washing these fabrics. Both of these products will wear the fabric out quickly.
- If no baking soda is available, OxyClean, or a similar additive can be used in its place. Vinegar is great at removing odors, but the acidity of it may lead to damage if used often.
- Pilling or fuzz found on these clothing pieces can be caused from friction with other fabrics such as cottons, or by snagging on hooks and Velcro found on other sportswear.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods